Monday, December 26, 2011

New variety of coconut trees, Sri Lanka.


 My friend Capt. Jermyn Fernando got me five saplings of a new variety of coconut produced by the Coconut Research Board, Sri Lanka . The CRI claimed that they would produce fruits within five years and five trees would provide all the coconut needed for an average household for an year. I have a bee-hive in our garden. I have seen the bees pollinating the flowers of the tree. They produced fruits in abundance three years after planting. The bunches are so heavy that one of them broke off from the tree. We drank the contents of the  fallen fruits in its 'Kurumba' stage. We have now put additional supports for the heavy bunches of coconuts. My wife says that it was the 'evil eye' of the neighbors which caused the bunch to break off early. The first photo shows the tree heavy with fruits. The second picture shows the broken bunch at the foot of the tree.

No comments: