Sunday, February 3, 2013

Manalkaadu, Point-Pedro, effects of the Tsunami.


Abandoned house and well.
Effects of the Tsunami on a prosperous house near the sea-shore.

New houses and settlements two Kilometers from the shore.


The cemetery where the dead of the Tsunami were buried.
Reminds me of a poem I memorized at school long ago. It goes as follows:-


‘Home was home then, my dear, full of kindly faces,
Home was home then, my dear, happy for the child.
Fire and the windows bright glittered on the moorland;
Song, tuneful song, built a palace in the wild.
Now, when day dawns on the brow of the moorland,
Lone stands the house, and the chimney-stone is cold.
Lone let it stand, now the friends are all departed,
The kind hearts, the true hearts, that loved the place of old’.




 ‘Home No More Home To Me, Whither Must I Wander?’
by Robert Louis Stevenson

No comments: