Wednesday, December 20, 2017

The centuries do not forget...

While serving as Surgeon GH Ratnapura in 1982, a well dressed gentleman, came to see me with a long standing ulcer on one of his legs. It looked like an allergic origin. On questioning he told me that his father also had a similar ulcer. I prescribed the necessary treatment. After he had gone the old attendant standing by me said 'Oka saneepa wenni nay Sir. Oka paramparawey saapayak'.- 'You cannot cure that Sir. It is a curse of a generation'. I was intrigued and asked why he said that. The attendant said that a male ancestor of the patient took part in the capture of the last King of Kandy. The ancestor a high court official, had done the unpardonable sin at that time in1815, of kicking the King's body with his foot. This was a curse laid on generations to come. I was reminded of a passage from a Russian author. 'The centuries do not forget the shame of a nation'.

While serving in Kandy as Surgeon in the 1980s, an elderly gentleman related to me a legend, that when the news of the betrayal of the Kandyan Kingdom to the British reached Kandy, the angered public reacted by cutting many 'Ehela' trees in and around Kandy.

No comments: